This is the ideal side-dish for a barbecue (South Africa, listen up….this goes GREAT with ”Bloubul-steak”, so remember to try at your next ”boere-braai”.)
I’ve always loved potato dishes…..potato’s are such versatile veggies, plus my kids actually like it (that’s the BIG reason for me being totally crazy about improvising with it). I’m a no-fuss chef and often do not have the time, nor the inclination to get creative with meals. If a dish cannot be prepared in 10 minutes, I pass….or cheat my way around all the details. Gordon Ramsay will have a heart attack if he knows whats cookin’ in my kitchen! Anyway, here is the potato-thing….I’m sure you’ll love it.
Oh, and I must mention this…..the idea actually was my sister Ansie’s…..she often makes this baked potato-thing for her granddaughter (a very fussy eater). Says Ansie: ”The kid HAS to eat SOMETHING, right? So why not something we can ALL enjoy!”
What you need:
- Boiled potato with skin (1 for each person)
- Butter (preferably NOT margarine)
- Fresh, crushed garlic to taste
- Diced ham and/or bacon
- Grated cheddar
- Italian herbs (the Robertson’s mix) or just Oregano – dried will do fine
- Salt and pepper to taste (you can also sprinkle some Aromat Original)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
- Cut the boiled potato in half
- With a teaspoon, gently scrape out some of the potato’s ”flesh” and place in a bowl. (There must be a small indentation in the centre of each half.) Do this with all the potato halves.
- Mash the potato bits in the bowl and mix in some grated cheddar (not all of it)
- Add the butter, garlic, spices and ham/bacon bits and mix well until butter is melted
- Fill the ”holes” in the potato halves with this mix, making a little mound on top.
- Place the filled halves in an oven dish, top with grated cheese and more dried herbs
- Bake for app 25 min or until cheese is properly melted
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
You see, its as easy as pie! A child can make this! And it is SO delish!
More tips and ideas:
- Add sliced mushrooms/chopped onions/mixed peppers to the filling
- Top with an extra layer of crumbled feta cheese.
- Actually, the possibilities are endless….use your imagination!! I’m sure it will be a hit at your next get-together!
- Click here to find out 23 more ways to eat a baked potato. (Link via @BuzzFeed)