Hot/cold rice salad
- Although this is easy and quick to prepare AND is the ideal salad if you need something in a hurry NOW, it will taste much better as a cold salad if you leave it overnight and remove from the refrigerator an hour or two before serving.
- If you prefer to serve it warm, just heat it up before serving
- Add any of the following for variety … cheddar cheese/tuna/ham/teaspoon of curry powder (do not heat if you add cheese, unless you wouldn’t mind it melting)
- Sometimes I add boiled egg to the mix and some chutney.
- You can also add some canned/fresh, fried button mushrooms
- This is a very basic recipe and you can change it according to your own tastes and preferences.
- 500 ml of cooked rice (preferably still warm)
- Mixed vegetables (frozen or fresh, but already cooked – canned veg will also do)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Crushed garlic to taste (garlic salt will also work)
- Mixed peppers, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 10 ml ketchup/tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix peppers, garlic, onion, salt and pepper in a bowl
- Add mayonnaise and ketchup or tomato sauce and mix well
- Mix rice and vegetables and add mayo-mix
- Stir well until all ingredients are covered with a thin layer of mayo
- Place in salad bowl and cover with cling-film
- Serve immediately/heat up and serve/leave in refrigerator overnight (you see how versatile this is!! I love this salad!)