via Creamed spinach | BBC Good Food
* You can use grounded nutmeg if you don’t have fresh
* Add some feta cheese/bacon/mushrooms/garlic/cheddar cheese for a more interesting dish
- 25g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml full-fat milk
- 2 x 200g bags spinach
- 100ml single cream
- fresh nutmeg, for grating
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, then add the onion and cook for 5 mins until softened. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 mins, then slowly start to whisk in the milk. When it has all been incorporated, gently cook for 5 mins until the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, place the spinach in a large colander. Pour over a kettle full of boiling water until the leaves have wilted (you may have to do this twice). Place the spinach in a clean dishcloth, squeeze out any excess liquid, then roughly chop. Stir into the sauce with the cream, gently heat, then finely grate over some nutmeg and season well.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, December 2009